1. My EndNote library says that it has been corrupted, and I can't open it. Is there anything I can do?
Try the database recovery tool by going to the Library menu, then Recover library. This may help to repair a damaged library, but doesn't always work. (To avoid data loss remember to back up your library regularly. See the more detailed, Proper process for recovering library files
2. How do I export an EndNote library to Excel?
3. How can I make a backup of my library? Can I move it to another computer?
You can use the Sync feature available starting in EndNote X6 and higher to move your library to another computer with EndNote installed. See the more detailed, Moving, backing up, or transferring libraries
4. How do I recover a damaged EndNote Library?
The proper process for recovering library files:
Note: Make sure both .enl and .Data folders are in the same location while trying to recover library.
5. I cannot enter a library in EndNote's preferences for the purpose of sharing with a group.
Syncing between your EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online needs to be reset. Make a backup copy of your library before proceeding with the reset process.
Now do the following:
6. How do I back up my library?
EndNote automatically saves changes to your library, so there is no Save or Save As command for the Library. You can back up your library by using the 'Save a Copy' command to create an exact copy of your library. To create a copy of your library:
In Microsoft, the new library is saved to the location you choose, where you can then open it with EndNote. This command creates a .ENL file as well as a DATA folder for the new library, and copies all necessary files and figures to it.
In macOS, the new library is saved to disk, where you can then open it with EndNote. This command creates a .ENL file as well as a .DATA folder for the new library, and copies all necessary files and figures to it.
You can also create a compressed copy of a library and later restore the compressed library with EndNote. To create a compressed copy of your library in Microsoft:
To create a compressed copy of your library in macOS:
7. How many EndNote libraries can I have?
We recommend that you have only one library for your thesis, research project/s and/or course work and that you use groups and group sets to organize your references. This approach:
8. Can I save my EndNote Library to OneDrive, Dropbox, iCloud, etc.?
You can archive a compressed EndNote library to a cloud storage service. If you need to use this archived file in the future you should move it to your hard drive before decompressing it. You should not store your working library to any online synchronization service as this may result in corruption of your library.
9. Is it possible to transfer a Windows EndNote library to EndNote on a Macintosh (and vice-versa)?
Libraries that are created on the Mac or PC version of EndNote are compatible across platforms. You can transfer the files via portable media or you can email them to yourself.
10. How can I merge two EndNote libraries?
Please see advice from Clarivate on merging EndNote libraries.
11. How many references and full text or file attachments can a library hold?
EndNote 20 Desktop can hold an unlimited number of references and file attachments.
12. Can I use Adobe Acrobat to view, highlight and annotate linked PDFs in my library?
In EndNote 20:
Note: Sticky note comments inserted using the default EndNote reader are searchable by choosing 'Any Field and PDF' or the 'PDF Notes' search options. They are not searchable when inserted using another program.
Remember PDFs are saved by default to the PDF section of the library’s accompanying .Data folder.