Initial Assessment & Vital Signs
Required text: Bates' Guide to Physical Examination & History Taking, 11th ed
History & Physical Exam (The H&P)
Kahn, MW, Etiquette-Based Medicine. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:1988-1989
Medical Student-Patient Relationship
Kitsis E. Shining a light on shadowing. JAMA 2011; 305: 1029-30
Wolpaw DR . Seeing eye to eye. N Engl J Med 2011; 365: 2052-2053
Srinivasan M. Today's learning point. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:1474.
Treadway K. Heart sounds. N Eng J Med 2006; 354: 1112-13
Insight into Primary Care
Acknowledgements: Prepared by Esme Cullen, Usha Ranji, & Alina Salganicoff of the Kaiser Family Foundation . Update: April 2011
1. National Association of Community Health Centers. Primary Care Access: An Essential Building Block of Health Reform March 2009
2. Starfield, B. 1998. Primary Care: Balancing Health Needs, Services, and Technology. New York: Oxford University Press.
3. Note: the American Academy of Pediatrics reports that the current pediatrician workforce and number of residents training seems adequate to meet needs, with some regional and subspecialty difference.
4. Sarfield B, Shi L & Macinko J Contribution of primary care to health systems and health. Milbank Quarterly, 83: 457-502Z
5. Halsey A, Primary Care Shortage May Undermine Reform Efforts June 20, 2009. Washington Post.
6. Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Health Professions. The physician workforce. Rockville, MD: HRSA, Dec. 2008
7. Ruddy, G. et al. The family physician workforce: the special case of rural populations. American Family Physician, 2005; 72(1); 147
8. National Association of Community Health Centers. March 2007. Access Denied: A Look at America's Medically Disenfranchised.
9. Hauer, K. Factors associated with medical students' career choices regarding internal medicine. JAMA 2008; 300(1): 1154-1164
10. Hawkins, D., Proser, M. and Schwartz R. Fall 2007. Health Reform and Healthcare Homes: the role of community health center. Harvard Health Policy Review, 8(2).
11. Starfield, B. Nov. 2008 Refocusing the System. N Engl J Med , 359:2087-91.
12. Devers K, Berenson R Can accountable care organizations improve the value of health care by solving the cost and quality